Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 349: Not a Poinsettia


Day 349: Not a Poinsettia, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I love to look closely at flowers. The incredible detail fascinates me and I start to wonder why they have evolved the way they have. This gerbera seems to have a bull's eye, letting insects know exactly where to come to collect its pollen. It is the vibrant colours that make gerbera so spectacular.

When I photograph flowers, I often think of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings. Her flowers were so sensual and intimate and often full of passion. I can only capture what I see; she could capture the emotional component too.

1 comment:

  1. It's true, there's a whole logic, a practical beauty in a flower. We don't usually think about it - just stick them in a vase and make sure the colour is to our liking.

    ReplyDelete