Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 340: Reflections


Day 340: Reflections, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This year is coming to an end and I thought I would stop and reflect on the experience.

There have been days when it has been difficult to take photographs - those days when the monotony of every day life doesn't seem to provide opportunity for finding something unique. Like others, I would go scrambling around my house looking for something I had not yet shared and a story to go with it.

I found myself often, in Walter Mitty style, drifting off into stories as my eyes focused on an interesting sight (sights I might have overlooked in the past). Yet sometimes it was only as I sat poised to write that the story actually made itself clear to me. I have enjoyed the writing which has somewhat surprised me.

As the year went on I felt more and more comfortable trying on different genres of writing, from fact to fiction to poetry. I don't think I would have gone public with some of this writing in the past. The encouragement of my audience and the sense of having an audience made me more willing to share and dare to write in new ways. I thank all of you who made that possible.

I have built relationships with new virtual friends and feel both through your responses to my photographs and work and through reading and viewing your posts I have grown to know you and treasure what you bring to my day, visual feasts, surprises. Through your eyes I have learned new ways of seeing. Through your words I have savoured your use of language to express ideas and feelings and have had much food for thought. I never quite expected to care so much about people I have never met.

My life has been made richer by opening my eyes to see the unique in the ordinary, to look beyond the surface and by making each moment an adventure in seeing. I have found stories I thought I had forgotten and learned from what I saw as my interest was piqued to look for more information to share.

I have been thinking of my participation in 2010. Here are my thoughts - I will continue to photograph, though I don't think I'll pressure myself to do a daily photo. If the day is such that nothing presents itself, there will be no more 11:30 pm treasure hunts through my house. I will try to write at least once a week. I cannot give up this experience or the network of incredible people this has led me to.

And for now - as the days get shorter, my camera will always be handy -25 days to go.

5 comments:

  1. You have such a gift for words and I, for one, will miss your daily postings in 2010...if in fact it comes to that!!

    I share much of your reflection, especially regarding the writing opportunities, the time to 'think' each day, the community interaction, and the overall depth the experience has provided. This is my second year of the 365 project, but my first year I didn't join a group nor did I write - it was just a personal challenge trying to develop photographic skills. Each year has brought new experiences that have been absolutely incredible, but I concur that the relationships built via images and the Flickr groups and blogs have provided immeasurable enhancements. So 'cheers' to all of us who have ventured this path in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think this is your strongest image to date! Like your 'stories', it's grounded in sharpness and clarity. Like your quest to be a better photographer, it presents the impression of what might be. I love it!

    This is mostly a selfish request, (but know that I also care about your growth as a writer and photographer), please push yourself to contribute to the group more than once a week in 2010! It's a high point of my day to visit here - you have much to offer!

    All the best!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on your participation in 2010 reflect my own. This has been a wonderful ride, but it can be very time consuming. A break from time to time might be nice. I have not missed a day, yet many of my posts lack inspiration. I'm thinking quality over quantity in 2010.
    This was a wonderful summary of your year. I think I might have to do a similar post on my own blog.
    Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan, Please - knowing there are only 25 days to go (less, since I'm visiting late) makes me sad and nervous! I've so enjoyed your photographs and your words have inspired me and reminded me of moments I've treasured from the past. I always look forward to your posts, even when I have to "catch up" - I read every one. I don't think I could commit myself to every day, but I do hope you will keep posting. This photo, for example, is perfect with your post!

    ReplyDelete