Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Drip drip drip FREEZE


Drip drip drip FREEZE, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Driving home, I was astonished to see that someone had added colour to the ice that forms on the large rocks that meet Cedar Avenue. I had to stop and get a better look. There was quite a variety of colours. The icicles spread the hues as they lengthened.

Rainbow Ice
Someone certainly had fun with buckets of paint. The "sculpture" must change as the thawing and freezing continues. The colour drips, one into another, creating new hues.

IMG_8265

Further up the hill, the ice was untouched by this riot of colour. Stately beauty, brushed by new fallen snow. This ever-changing landscape fashioned just by water.
IMG_8266

7 comments:

  1. How very creative! I've seen this done with snow, but not ice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I prefer the untouched stately beauty of the natural wall of icicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd just stick to Nature for my own enjoyment. People sometimes spray paint on the trees along the trails behind me so they don't lose their way - it's jarring to see neon in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are stunning. Such a contrast to the weaher we have at present in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I like the way the colours are running I have to say I prefer nature's artistic touch. Water, in all its forms, is such an interesting subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So curious, I hope it was done with harmless food coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! A totally novel idea for me to add colour to ice like that. Maybe I should try it around here one day.

    ReplyDelete