Monday, January 10, 2011

Late Sun on the Milkweed


Late Sun on the Milkweed, originally uploaded by susanvg.
January 9
Some long rays of sun reached us this afternoon. But cold, damp windy gusts kept us from taking a long walk. I've always loved the look of the dried flowers and grasses sticking up through the snow. Many years ago, my late husband and I wanted to start buying art for our home. We saw a painting by William Allister that we loved, but it was too expensive. We settled on a small canvas - very reminiscent of this winter scene.

DSC02291

My photograph doesn't do it justice. Allister was a distant friend of my parents. He was a Canadian artist and writer who wrote a novel of his time as a POW during the second world war: A Handful of Rice. You can learn more about Allister here.

5 comments:

  1. Nice pairing of pictures. Always nice to see the real and interpreted together. It was interesting to see the winter shot of the milkweed. I have some fall pictures. Have pictures of the milkweed through the seasons could be an interesting project. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those seed heads are what I'm seeing from my kitchen window. I never cut them in fall, preferring to see their shape until the snow covers them entirely. It looks like a spotlight on your Milkweed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photograph is extra lovely with that burst of sunshine. And what a story about the artist - incredible life he led and so creative with both the brush and the pen. It is heart-warming to hear of his return trip to Japan - so many carry the hatred around which does nothing positive for the quality (or perhaps even the length) of life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the thick paint used in the painting. Winter scenes are very different to our warm, green environment. Too many spiders and cockroaches for my liking - all outside though, as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The warm sunlight is really beautiful on the Milkweed! Got to catch every bit of light in winter, right? Thank you for introducing me to a new artist and writer, too.

    ReplyDelete