Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Larch Cones


Larch Cones, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I often like things that are a little out of the ordinary, that don't always follow all the rules. Larch trees are one of those things - conifers, but they lose their needles. So autumn is a time for them to change colour from green to a golden yellow. Some of the cones stay on the trees providing food for squirrels and some birds. Without the needles, I have a good view as they stop and feast on a winter's day.

6 comments:

  1. Very unique looking! Nice clear capture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to check larch trees in the dictionary :) Yes, we have them too and in the autumn they look quite strange, as conifers are usually evergreens. Will have to check out for the cones, haven't really paid attention before. Thank you for this useful info! The photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cones in a grouping look like a heart. I like the dusting of snow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unique. It is fun find things, and people, that are a little out of the ordinary. After all, they're often the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we have larch trees here, although I believe they have another name, don't they? Maybe we do, and I just know them differently. Nice shot of textures!

    ReplyDelete