Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fair Trade Shelves


Fair Trade Shelves, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Shopping with a conscience - I like to buy fair trade coffee and chocolate. It assuages my guilt at eating these life enhancers that travel such a long distance. At least I know the workers are properly recompensed, and in many cases, the items are also organic. It's hard to walk gently on this earth, both in terms of our environmental footprint and our social footprint. While I live in a country of plenty, so many live from hand to mouth. I stopped in Dix milles villages (Ten Thousand Villages) to look for some espresso coffee. This display of goods was in that store. They also sell a variety of gift items, all made by small co-ops where people are paid a fair wage for what they produce. I have often bought gifts there - a small act to make this world better.

6 comments:

  1. We have a Ten Thousand Villages in our neighborhood in Denver, too. Mostly gifts items at our shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always feels better giving when you your gift gives back or helps another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your Fair Trade product selection! I also buy Fair Trade whenever I can. The choice is not very big in our country, though. But we buy only Fair Trade bananas, and mostly tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the small acts add up to make this world better. I like the lines in this photo. Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely photo
    and well done on buying fair trade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not aware of fair trade products in my town, but I will now need to research! I've always enjoyed the uniqueness of crafted items from around the world.

    ReplyDelete