Saturday, January 15, 2011

Winding Up


Winding Up, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I was admiring the fat flakes of snow that were gently falling when I noticed this stairway - a spiral. Utilitarian, it serves as a fire escape.
I always think of learning as a spiral and have never understood people who think it is a straight line. Each time we revisit an idea or concept, our understanding deepens. While we build on past learning, we also need to constantly go back. And all of this takes time.

6 comments:

  1. Cool stairway. I like and agree with your analogy as well. Yes, it does take time but time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it is functional but also has a sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Susan. That must be why steep learning makes us dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the composition of the photo, Susan. The lines - straight and curving seem to compliment each other. I also like reading your thoughts on learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spiral shape of the stairway is very captivating. A very good connection to learning, too. Lifelong learning, just as life, certainly isn't a straight line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorites of your photos. And the story with it! Learning is a spiral. It made me think of all the time I have spent on photography this past year - I love the learning and am now going back to review and deepen my learning!

    ReplyDelete