Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lever Handle


Lever Handle, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Many of the handles in my house are of this variety - a lever not a knob. My daughter has a cat that lives in our basement along with my daughter. She (the cat, not my daughter) was supposed to stay for one night, but about 5 years later she is still here. As my spouse of a few years is allergic to cats and barely tolerates my less allergenic Cornish Rexes, I have not allowed the basement cat upstairs. But that did not stop her. She learned to jump at the basement door and swat the lever, thus releasing the catch and pushing on the door to open it. Every so often I would find her wandering around the house, much to the chagrin of the upstairs cats. So we changed the handle. She still bravely launches herself at the door and swats, but unless someone has left the door ajar, which occasionally happens, her efforts are futile.

I did catch her wandering around the house the other morning. She quite enjoyed exploring and my old cats no longer seem bothered by her presence.

6 comments:

  1. They are clever, those felines! :) I like the perspective of this shot - takes on a different look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE old levers like that. It adds so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felines sure can be clever. Speaking of clever, I love the angle you chose to take the picture from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the slant of the photo and the slant of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unusual handle - is it? If I had a basement, I would have a basement cat...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Susan, I'm getting forgetful I remember reading this last night, but don't remember commenting. If I did, ignore this! I once adopted a feral cat who could open these lever handles. Unfortunately, what she was after was getting into my guest bedroom so she could use the bed as her litter box. I tried tying it shut, and she somehow unraveled the rope and had her way. Shortly thereafter, she was relocated to a farm...

    ReplyDelete