Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book and Book Mark


Book and Book Mark, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Daily Shoot: Make a photograph of two complementary objects arranged to show their relationship to each other.
I'm reading "The Anthologist" - so far not a favourite. My bookmark keeps my place as I come back. The bookmark was given to me; it is from a Montreal organization: 60 Million Girls which supports education projects for girls in the developing world. They are hosting an event in May which will feature Greg Mortenson of the Central Asia Institute (read about him in his books: Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools)
"When you educate a girl you educate a whole family"
Good reminder as I read, how important literacy and education is to people around the world.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing program. Reading really is an important and valuable skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you go hear Mortenson speak? He was in Breckenridge several years ago, but I couldn't attend his lecture. Your photo of the book and marker may soon be a historical artifact, Susan, since so many people are using electronic readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are sponsoring girls in small villages in India through an organization. Girls' literacy, and being able to go to school, really is one key for improving living standards over there. So many of them have to be 'substitute moms' at an early age, when both parents go round doing agricultural work for others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg Mortenson's book was great. Really inspired me

    ReplyDelete