Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16/10: Basketweaving


DSC00273, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I'm always amazed at the ingenuity of man. How did people figure out how to make things? This basket is used for storing wood near my fireplace. I marvel at the patterns the weavers have made. Now this craftsmanship gets passed down as one person teaches another, but how did the first weavers figure out the techniques to create these utilitarian products?

I wonder about food, too? How did they get from wheat to bread? It's a lot of steps, from grinding to adding ingredients to heating and then the final product. Mankind continues to innovate and create new things. If only all this ingenuity was aimed at peaceful items that enhance our lives and not items of violence or waste.

3 comments:

  1. I share similar 'wonderings' - just this morning, I caught myself thinking about how lucky I was to be born in my family and circumstances. How was it that I was so blessed and others not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot. I like being able to see the detail of the weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at what people create - and what was originated so long ago, I shake my head in wonder. Even functional items seem to have a beauty bestowed on them by their creator.

    ReplyDelete