Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 20/10: Lachine Rapids


June 20/10: Lachine Rapids, originally uploaded by susanvg.

The Lachine Rapids kept ships from going further west than Montreal until the Lachine Canal was built and later the Seaway. . It was only then that ships could bypass the rapids and make their way into the Great Lakes.

I walked through Parc des Rapides, enjoying the views of the rapids as well as the flora and fauna. A fence kept people back from this nest. I am not sure what kind of bird it is (I believe it is a kind of warbler or vireo)


On the Nest

Redwing blackbirds are common here. My friend, with whom I was on this photo jaunt, said that they have been known to attack people if you get too close to their nests.

Redwing Blackbird

Ducks and herons nest in this area. You can watch them fishing or looking for tasty vegetation. Flowers abound - both native species and species that have been planted. As you walk, the scents change with the surroundings.

DSC00396

Wild Rose

Irises


Pollinating

So nice to have this a short drive away from home.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! You've outdone yourself with these photos. I enjoyed your nature walk. I'm trying to decide which photo to tell you I like best and can't! They're all special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely pictures. I love the bird in the nest one! You are so fortunate to have such a nice place that is only a short drive away. The Lachine Rapids shot is terrific. You composed it so well. The greenery combined with the water sets off the colors so well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is the rapids. I love how the water curls. Really nice.

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're getting pretty good with your new camera. I love your rapids shot. I can almost hear the water. Nice bird shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delightful picture story. Great shots of birds, and the bee one wonderful! I can sense the beautiful scent of the rose. Nature is a real source of energy and enjoyment for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series of photos and the layout is striking.

    ReplyDelete