Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19/10: Old Chair


June 19/10: Old Chair, originally uploaded by susanvg.

More memories - I wonder what the story of this chair is. How many homes has it lived in? Who made it? It now sits in a bedroom. I've been thinking a lot about old items and the stories they carry. It is too bad that these items do not come with their history - where they have been and what they have witnessed. They carry the history of our country - the life of the people, not the events that get into history books.

6 comments:

  1. I love the old feel of the chair. It would be so interesting to know the story behind these items. Personal histories would add a lot to any official history book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I just watched a cute, romantic movie, Maybe, Truly (something like that). But one of the main characters received an old edition of Jane Eyre from her father with an inscription. Her father died and she lost track of the book and has been trying to get it back. So in her apartment she has a shelf of used Jane Eyre books. Can you imagine? A shelf of versions of a book you loved?
    It's Hollywood and of course her boyfriend does find her book. :)
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering where you got the chair? I have an old cane one that I bought at a yard sale when I was in college (many, many years ago!). It sits in one of our bedrooms. When I look at it, I remember some of my own history as well as the chair's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with sinikka. If we had those personal stories, just think how we could reach our students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This chair definitely looks like it could tell some great stories. While I'm not necessarily a big fan of antiques I do appreciate their history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly makes me appreciate having old and new and that eclectic is an enriching state of mind. Great that you have the space and place to keep it. The history would be fun, but so is the idea of imagining what it has been.

    ReplyDelete