Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 287: Russian Box


Day 287: Russian Box, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I visited my Internet friend's blog and found a box like this. I learned that it is called a Palekh box. I thought it would be fun to share mine, which I bought in St. Petersburg. It just called to me as I saw so much of myself in it. My parents were both born in Russia, though they came to Canada as children. My mother read me Russian folk tales so I was attracted to the image as it reminded me of those stories. Symbols in the image - the cat, the woman playing a wind instrument are both important in my life. So this box came home with me.

I do wonder about all these "treasures". As I cleared out my kitchen for renovations I made many choices of what was kept and what went. These items we pick up on travels add to the baggage of our lives. Yet they are often meaningless to others, even our children as they did not live the event that made them into treasures. When I move in a few years there will be many more decisions to make as I downsize. Will this be one of my keepers?

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that interesting! I love your box, and I've never seen that picture in any Palekh books. I wonder why the cat is in the boat. Thankyou for sharing this picture of your Russian box. I hope it will be something that will be treasured in your family. We recently had a custom-made Russian carved archway installed. My house looks so strange now; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want to dispose of it, I volunteer to be its next keeper...I love it!!

    ReplyDelete