Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 289: Five Little Pumpkins


Day 189: Five Little Pumpkins, originally uploaded by susanvg.

In those days of teaching Kindergarten, this was always a good little poem.

Five little pumpkins
Sitting on a gate
The first one said,
"Oh, my, it's getting late"
The second one said,
"There are witches in the air!"
The third one said,
"But I don't care"
The fourth one said,
"We'll run and run and run!"
The fifth one said,
"Let's have some fun!"
OOOOOOOH, went the wind
And OUT went the light
And the five little pumpkins
Rolled out of sight

I happened along these pumpkins as I was walking and was reminded of some of the activities we did with pumpkins - everything from ordering them by size, estimating which was heaviest, counting pumpkin seeds, roasting the seeds, writing about the pumpkins, observing them over time..... and of course, learning the little poem above. Five little pumpkins can teach so much.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm the room parent chair for my 4th grader...these pumpkin games will come in handy for the Halloween party! I've been trying to come up with something...I think guessing the weight might work for 4th graders...and maybe estimating how many seeds are in a jar?
    Thank you for the reminder...I need to get ready for this party!

    ReplyDelete