Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 293: What to read next?


Day 293: What to read next?, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I always have books going and now it is both those I read and those I listen to in the car. You can see some other books I have read on my Shelfari shelf.

The spoken books I have on the go currently are A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and Great Expectations by Dickens. I got started on the latter because I just read Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones and it is heavily intertwined with that book. It is my book in hand reading where I have to make my next choice. Do I go with a professional book like Teaching Visual Literacy, one that is more tenuously connected to my job, but is important nonetheless liike Shirkey's Here Comes Everybody or Wagner's The Global Achievement Gap. Or do I go for literature? Nino Ricci's The Origin of the Species looks interesting while Follett's The Pillars of the Earth taps into my interest in the middle ages. Hmm - decisions to make.

Any recommendations? Or perhaps you have another book to suggest.

4 comments:

  1. Or...you can go with some mainstream fiction fluff like the Anna Pigeon series (author: Nevada Barr). Each one is set in a different US National Park.

    I'm with you - usually reading one and listening to one on the long commute to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start two simultaneously. Then read what you're drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffer from the same dilemma and always seem to have a half-dozen books going at one time, in an unsuccessful attempt to meet all of my needs! :) Adding to the issue is the various forms of books - audio, iPhone downloads, and now the new B&N 'Nook'...wonder when I'll finish those that I start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Susan, but those type of decisions are delicious ones. I recently bought a Kindle - I held off for awhile because I wasn't sure if I'd miss holding the actual book. I don't - it's the words, not the paper that enthrall me. Also, it is wonderful when I travel.

    ReplyDelete