Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 300: Flowering Cactus


Day 300: Flowering Cactus, originally uploaded by susanvg.

My plants are confused. While they usually thrive under my benign neglect, my house renovations have certainly put them off their normal patterns. My orchids, which usually bloom for a long time have shed all their flowers, unwilling to display their beauty among the construction noise and dust. My Christmas cacti have thrived. I'm told they flower when they are stressed, so this may be why I have four plants which are covered in buds. This one is the first to have open flowers. Maybe they have the right attitude - when the going gets tough, put on something nice and keep growing, unlike my shy orchids who just can't take the changes.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, let's follow the cactus philosophy, Susan. Mine is covered with blooms, too (white) and it's white outside, too.

    ReplyDelete