Saturday, January 21, 2012

House Concert

House Concert by susanvg
House Concert, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
A house concert is a wonderful experience; there is an intimacy you don't get in churches or concert halls. I went to a benefit concert on behalf of Les Voix Humaines. They are raising money to pay for the viola da gambas they had made by Pierre Charette and Hélène Cossette. Not only did I hear music played by Les Voix Humaines, but they were joined by lutenist, Sylvain Bergeron, soprano, Hélène Brunet and countertenor, Daniel Taylor.  Here is one of the songs he sang: O waly, waly, accompanied by Sylvain Bergeron.

What a treat! And, of course, we got to hear the new viols. Carving on Viola da Gamba
Back of the Tenor Viol



Carving on Viola da Gamba 2

Viol Head in profile (a young Charles I of England)


I first met this viol in November when I was at a meeting at Susie Napper's house. You can learn more about the process of making a viol here.

2 comments:

  1. Intricate carving and sound - I know you were smiling that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and artistic Viol! I wish I could listen to the sound.

    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete