Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gamba Head of Young Charles I

Gamba Head of Young Charles I by susanvg
Gamba Head of Young Charles I, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
This head of Charles I as a young man sits on a new tenor viola da gamba made for Les Voix Humaines. He has not yet witnessed much music but he has a long illustrious concert life ahead of him.

More and more has been written lately about music being so essential to life. In fact, in one article I read it said that music may have come before speech. I know, for me, music has played many roles in my life. I have gone to music for solace, for joy, for relaxation, for stimulation and it has never disappointed me.

Musicians (other than those few pop stars) have a tough time. Instruments like this are very expensive to buy and expensive to keep. While sports figures get sponsors, advertising contracts to pay for their equipment, musicians are self-financed and their earnings are nothing like what a sports player earns.

I would hate to see Charles wear a company scarf to advertise a sponsor, but there has to be a way to make it possible for more musicians to have fine instruments. I had a chance to hear this viole played and it has a beautiful rich sound.

Shakespeare said, " Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

This viola da gamba will speak for its players, communicating in ways mere words could never express.

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. Music is an important part of my life and is with me throughout my daily lives too. I feel that music composers are speaking to me while I am playing the piano. It is a very relaxing time even though it is a new challenge to play something new.
    Have a great day.
    Tomoko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thoughtful post and a lovely instrument, Susan. Most creative endeavors go unheralded and unsponsored, yet our lives would be poorer without them.

    ReplyDelete