Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 4/10: Thieves


May 4/10: Thieves, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This photograph looks like it's about tulips but actually it is about the tulips that are not there. You may notice that two have been decapitated. There are thieves in the neighbourhood. I saw one from my bedroom window. It cut off the bloom and went off with it.

I used to puzzle over this. I knew these thieves were squirrels and was always angry that the petals of the flower would be strewn around as if the squirrel vandalized my garden, decided it wasn't to its liking and left the evidence to taunt me. Today I saw that it ate the heart of the flower (usually only the red tulips), leaving the petals. I am a little more forgiving as I see the damage, knowing some of it went to nourishment.

2 comments:

  1. I've had many tulip bulbs eaten by the same thieves that are stealing your blooms, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw squirrels I thought they were charming but it seems that no-one actually likes them!

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete