Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12/10: Soap


May 12/10: Soap, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Daily Shoot: Pick an everyday subject and get as close as you can to it. Make a photograph and post it!

Soap now requires decision-making. I well remember the days of the thick, white cake of "kitchen soap" which always sat by the sink in my mother's kitchen. It served the purpose. Now we have to decide between hard soap and soft soap. Soap comes in every scent, for every skin type, and ready to fight bacteria. What is touted as a boon to fighting disease, is then exposed as a threat. Anti-bacterial soap may increase the incidence of bacteria mutations. The additives may also interfere with our hormonal systems.

I do like using the soap in the kitchen - I don't feel I am leaving raw chicken residue on a bar of soap - but is this really the right choice? I'm not sure.

3 comments:

  1. So many decisions, so little time. I know I much prefer the soap dispenser than a bar of soap, especially in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy soap with my Grandchildren in mind. They wash their hands with diligence if I have good-smelling soap. Then they come and want me to smell their hands! You're right - times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have actually gone to a auto liquid soap dispenser in the kitchen. Mostly because it was cool looking - but I do like having it to use when cooking. Hmnn....for the days that we didn't know as much.

    ReplyDelete