Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 21/10: Time's Up


May 22/10: Time's Up, originally uploaded by susanvg.

There is beauty even in the end of a flower's time to bloom. These tulips, ready to shed their petals, have created interesting sculptures. Our society worships the beauty of youth, but an older person's face carries the beauty of a life well-lived - the story is etched on the skin. I do not understand those who have plastic surgery to erase these tales - the years of laughter and of sorrow. Some faces become almost expressionless. I have earned whatever tracks and sags my age has wrought. I plan to age with a flourish come what may just as these tulips have.

4 comments:

  1. Oh - if only my aging skin could look as good as these tulips! I earned every wrinkle and sag, though - I guess I'll wear them with confidence (and a smile!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here! Well said. When my students point out the white hairs appearing on my head I point out that I've earned every one of them. Here's to embracing the wisdom and beauty that comes with age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the beauty still being there - I love the colors. Plus I like your analogy on aging- so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true about aging and plastic surgery - I could never imagine doing it either. And as these tulips, we ladies have a different kind of charm compared to our younger sisters.

    ReplyDelete