Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 1/10: Welcome Home


May 1/10: Welcome Home, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Much to learn about photography. I am trying to understand how to use my camera on manual - I set the f stop and shutter speed for this (and many others) in an attempt to see what the different settings provide for me. I'm going to have to keep a notebook and mark everything down, so I really understand what is happening. Right now I'm working with my Canon PowerShot, but am working towards growing my knowledge, so when I buy my DSLR camera I won't by completely stymied.

The path this photography has led me down .....

4 comments:

  1. Working in manual can be tricky but when you get it right it's amazing and satisfying. I have to admit that although I have a DSLR I get impatient from time to time and set it on automatic. Keeping a notebook with settings is definitely a good idea. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if practice makes perfect, one of these days we'll be really good at this, Susan! I always feel extra brave when I try manual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here,

    I was up town in the weekend coveting a new camera but I am holding off until my photography skills warrant the big spend.

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to write everything down. I took a photography class this winter, and that was the recommendation- take a shot in a variety of f-stops and shutter speeds, then write down what you've done so that when you review it, you can see the similarities and differences. It is a great hands-on way to learn the relationships between everything!

    ReplyDelete