Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jan 30/10: Windows


Jan 30/10: Windows, originally uploaded by susanvg.

My father was a self-made man. His father was a carpenter and my father had to quit high school to work with him to help support the family. Working weekends and summers he later finished high school at night and put himself through university. My father always saw windows not doors - possibilities not road blocks. He had an incredibly optimistic outlook.

He ultimately became a building developer and this is one of his projects. I know from stories people have told me, he was always honest and fair. He died 9 years ago this month, just shy of his 92nd (February) birthday. He has left brick and mortar legacies, but more importantly he has passed on his vision and values to his family and friends. I try to live up to his principles.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this very personal and touching tribute to your father. Sounds like a truly wonderful man, who lives on in the buildings he developed, but most importantly in the hearts and memories of those who knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father was a carpenter as well. He loved gadgets and technology. He would have loved tis whole web experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tribute to your father says so much about you, Susan. How fortunate you are to have such a good example to follow. I especially like the idea of seeing windows instead of doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it incredible that there is something so tangible that your father created?! In my world of potential future and abstract rewards working with human nature, it is refreshing to know that others legacies live not only within, but also in 'bricks and mortar'! Very nice remembrance!

    ReplyDelete