Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jan 31/10 Montreal and Beyond


Jan 31/10 Montreal and Beyond, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I've lived in Montreal all my life and yet there are things I never get tired off - one is the view from the summit in Westmount. I love to see the layers, the nearby trees, now stripped of their leaves, the buildings and then the river. Montreal sits in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. I've always felt it was an important waterway. My mother, who was born in Russia in 1913, told me she had learned about the river in school there and was looking forward to seeing it when they immigrated here in the 1920s. As a child, this made me feel we were "on the map" - as if any place isn't on the map.

I love to look beyond the river to the mountains far in the distance and think about the peace the countryside brings, so different from the bustle of the city. Vistas like this are about the long view, the breadth of possibilities that exist in all these layers.

And I love the ever changing skies, today filled with sun and the energy that brings. The walk up the hill to get here is always rewarded by time to stand and just look before I set off downwards again.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely vista! I like how it seems to go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost felt s though I was on top of the world with you, Susan, looking out over the city. What a beautiful day for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery - it is interesting to contemplate the 'place' we all hold in our incredible world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo and post. I too love being up above a city and looking out at it and beyone.

    ReplyDelete