Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jan 12/10: Music Feeds the Soul


Jan 12/10: Music Feeds the Soul, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I cannot imagine life without music. I play music regularly and go to many concerts. Music is a language which speaks directly to the soul and for the soul. Nietsche said, "Without music life would be a mistake."

When playing music written by someone else, in the interpretation you can say many things. Somewhat like Cyrano de Bergerac, using someone else's text you can say what is in your heart. It is another form of communication, another language. Music can draw tears, incite, provide energy, pump you up and calm you down.

My next challenge, shown here is to learn Corelli's La Follia, play it with my friend, a cellist, and find the "words" and meaning of it to converse with her and to say something to others.

7 comments:

  1. I found this photo to be so peaceful and calming. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took on the challenge in the last term to teach my cherubs ( 8/9 years old )the recorder. They had never played any instruments before and never any form of musical notation. before and there was 32 of them, some with 'interesting' behaviours. I persevered, they persevered. I was really proud that they got there. Indian Chant was our favourite.

    We used my Ed Sueta CDs for the accompanying soundtrack.

    Allanah K

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes a very nice statement. I like the arrangement (no pun intended). When I play music, it's on my MP3 player. I envy your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Moturoa - I went to listen -your class did very well - not easy to get 32 to play together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, I like the way the instruments seem to be snuggled into that cozy fleece. I wish you would make a short video of yourself playing - I'd love to hear you make music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite the undertaking. I'd love to hear you play someday. Happy playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw today's Daily Shoot challenge I immediately thought of you and how pleased you'd be with the assignment. Funny, isn't it? We've never met but there's much I know about you from your beautiful words and photos. I love the sharp focus and clarity of your photo. I can almost hear the notes being played.

    ReplyDelete