Friday, January 29, 2010

Jan 29/10: Dark Chocolate


Jan 29/10: Dark Chocolate, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Something sweet - but not too sweet - I love dark chocolate. Its flavour is intense, sensuous and satisfying. I feed my addiction with fair trade chocolate - a luxury for sure, but I know that the growers have been fairly treated.

I have read about child workers who are virtual slaves in cocoa plantations. Save the Children, an organization I respect, has reported finding children working in appalling conditions. Children are trafficked to work on large cocoa farms.

Chocolate is a luxury; I prefer to pay more and indulge with a free conscience.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, Susan, you are my photag blogger with a connection to the Daily Shoot. It's so cool to have this inspiration in the second year.
    And even more fun to click here to see what you've shot.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done - both photo and reasons! I didn't realize that child trafficking was prevalent for cocoa plantations - so sad that such abuse is allowed to continue in our world. It will not impact my chocolate consumption, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scene you have set here...including the torn wrapper which suggests you were very excited to nip off the corner of this tasty-looking treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only wish I could find as much satisfaction from just viewing the photo! Unfortunately - I love this treat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taught myself to like dark chocolate, too. It's better in every way, and not half as addictive as mild chocolate, so helps me watch my calories!
    And I totally agree with you about being informed consumers. Even I look for Fair Trade or similar products whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete