Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 247: Squirrels


Day 247: Squirrels, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Several days ago I posted a picture of this temple and mentioned that squirrels stop by to dine there. This visitor brought his own food (plucked from my neighbour's tree) and perched here to enjoy it. The moss this year is particularly thick due to the rain we have had this summer. Nature is quite something. I always marvel that growth continues despite us. Weeds push up in cracks in sidewalks and moss grows where none was planted.

I have a love / hate relationship with squirrels. They are certainly cute and it is fun to watch their antics, but they do leave a mess. When I had a bird feeder, for a few months I enjoyed the variety of birds that visited. After a while the squirrels figured out how to shimmy down, hang upside down and gorge themselves on the plentiful supplies. While it was fun to see their acrobatics, the birds no longer came by, other than the pigeons who quite liked the seeds that were spilled on the ground due to the squirrels' wild swinging. The feeder came down. I do take pity on the squirrels on icy winter days and occasionally throw leftover bread out the window (good, nutritious whole grain bread). But mostly, I let them fend for themselves and with the number of squirrels I see, I guess they are thriving.

1 comment:

  1. A great dining area, I see! :) Squirrels and other things in the 'wild' tend to do quite well without our 'help', even though it doesn't always look like it. Though there are some advertised 'squirrel proof' bird feeders, I don't think they work well!

    ReplyDelete