Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 249: Art in the Metro


Day 249: Art in the Metro, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I often travel on the metro (our subway system) and am struck by the lovely art in some of the stations. What this photograph doesn't show is that on the adjacent wall there is a huge advertisement for iPods. I wonder which attracts more attention. The stations, like stations in cities I have travelled in, have a succession of ads plastered around. Montreal has limited them a little more than some places. Does it devalue the work to have it juxtaposed beside advertising? I don't think all art work should be in museums; I love to see art in urban settings. I just wonder what other people see.

If you want to learn more about the art in Montreal's metro, visit this link. There I learned that this piece is called Hommage aux fondateurs de la ville de Montréal and is by artists Gaboriau and Osterrath. It is located in the Berri-UQAM station.

5 comments:

  1. Love the artwork - resembles a modernistic stained glass a bit! Colors and style seem quite appropriate for metro travelers to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning! Is it backlit?

    Some advertisements are so beautiful they could qualify as urban art. The problem is we're bombarded with so much visual clutter I think we tune most of it out. Hopefully the art breaks through to grab our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I, for one, would love to see more art in locations like this! What a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - that is very impressive and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite beautiful - I would welcome it's visual respite from advertising. A fellow blogger who lives near LA has also posted wonderful photos of the LA metro's artwork.

    ReplyDelete