Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 246: Cello


Day 246: Cello, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This cello belongs to a friend of mine, a professional cellist. It was made in China. She has told me that the Chinese are making wonderful instruments now, that they will become the predominant instrument makers.

She, like me, has someone in her family who is over 100; in her case it is her mother. When her mother was still living at home, H. and I used to play together to entertain her. What a privilege to have a professional accompany me while I played sonatas. Now that her mother is in a nursing home, we have decided to prepare a little concert to entertain the residents, so instead of just sight-reading through music, we are working on a few pieces. While I have to practise to get all the fingering fluid, she has been adapting her playing to baroque music, which is quite different stylistically from what she usually plays. So Vivaldi, Barsanti, Handel - your music will bring pleasure, yet again.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful...you've really captured the rich tones of the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful thing to do, provide joy through making music with a musical friend. I don't know much about music, but I have heard how different baroque music sounds on baroque instruments. Your story reminds me of when we had a parish (my husband is a Russian Orthodox priest) which was attached to a complex which included a nursing home (retirement village, etc.), and on Christmas and Easter we would take the youth to sing at the nursing home. We would all just walk through singing. It was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful closeup depicting the vibrant potential of the instrument as it plays the masters.

    ReplyDelete