Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 264: Maybe she won't notice


Day 264: Maybe she won't notice, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I went downstairs to answer the door and came back to find one cat sitting on the keyboard of my laptop and the other on my "Time Capsule". They were enjoying my electronic heating pads. I picked Basil off the keyboard and Elmo slipped behind my computer and curled up behind the screen, soaking up the heat it gave off. His head poked out and I couldn't resist photographing, but it didn't come out quite right, so here he is in duplicate: on the screen and behind it.

It is amazing how these cats love heat. I have described their trajectory around my house before. In the evening they get more creative about their search for warmth. As I write, Elmo is on my chair behind my back, a feline lumbar support. Cats know how to get their needs met. I just found this quote

If a dog jumps into your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer. ~Alfred North Whitehead
I know it is true - but not quite, because cats are picky with laps and know where they will get the best reception and added benefits. And there is nothing quite so relaxing as petting a cat.

2 comments: