Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 265: Standing on Guard


Day 265: Standing on Guard, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I'm not sure if these terracotta warriors are lost. They are standing guarding who knows what, separated from their thousands of troops. They had been gone for a while. We are not far from a high school and some of the students thought it would be funny to knock the head off one. I don't know if these are replacements or if they have recovered from their battle wounds. They certainly look incongruous here. But they do lend character to the neighbourhood.

I have seen some of the original warriors at an exhibit in London. I would love to visit their compatriots in China. For now I will have to be content seeing these fellows on guard.

2 comments:

  1. Great shot. Love the incongruity. I would never have seen such a strange sight if it weren't for this photo blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto tsheko's comments - certainly unique! Like you, I would love the opportunity to see the 'real' ones one day.

    ReplyDelete