Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 234: Mossy Temple


Day 234: Mossy Temple, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This moss covered temple sits on my patio. The very damp summer has provided a thick covering, like a fancy hat. When I moved into my house over two decades ago, the temple greeted me. The former owner had created a very zen space. I admit to not spending a lot of time sitting out back. Somehow, there are always things to do, the wasps are whizzing around or the weather is not conducive. But I enjoy looking out as I eat my meals.

The local squirrels enjoy perching on this temple to eat the horse chestnuts they snatch from my neighbour's tree. They leave the dropped shells as offerings to the temple gods.

5 comments:

  1. The moss looks so thick and green. I'm presuming you had to get the moss there originally? Lovely. I wish we could spend more time in our outdoor areas. As soon as the weather is good enough for us to sit outside, we get eaten by mosquitos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful textures in this shot! I'd love to see a follow-up one with the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a mossy area in a garden. We have a small waterfall and the cascading rocks have quite a lot of moss this year thanks to the dampness. It reminds me of an old growth forest with so much vibrant life under the dappled light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect, Susan - it appears both old and somehow holy. A good thing to look at and remind yourself to take time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did it just grow there naturally over the years? In French there is a saying "Pierre qui roule n'amasse pas mousse." I guess this "stone" never rolled considering all the moss it ammassed!

    ReplyDelete