Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 258: Jacket Weather


Day 258: Jacket Weather, originally uploaded by susanvg.

The weather has changed subtly; going out the door now means stopping to put on a jacket. No more carefree barefeet in sandles on a summer evening. As the leaves change, so do the colours of our clothes. Dark business attire replaces the pastels of summer. Sleeves creep down arms, exposing less and warming more.

The young still parade in their warm weather togs, bare legs, bare arms. They are not yet ready to relinquish summer. On the same street walk sweatered adults, beyond caring about the impressions they make, intent just on their comfort. I donned my jacket before stepping out to go to a rehearsal, tied my closed up shoes and felt my step a little heavier as my autumn attire weighed me down a little - it's part of the loss of freedom Autumn brings.

2 comments:

  1. Love the colorful wall & trim! Can't wait to see what you do with your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the move to cooler weather so well, Susan. It really is like a loss of freedom. I remember, as a child, the wonderful feeling when my mother put away my tights and thick socks, and replaced the drawer with short cotton socks. On the other hand, after a long, hot summer, I don't mind the layers of winter clothing. We don't have snow so it's not too bad. I also love the way we move in opposite directions from different hemispheres.

    ReplyDelete