Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 326: Kettle


Day 326: Kettle, originally uploaded by susanvg.

A new kitchen - a new kettle. I discovered my old copper-bottomed kettle should not be used with this stove. I know this will serve me well, its boiled water leading to those comforting cups of tea, tissane and coffee.

Some years ago during an insommniac night I went down to the kitchen and put on water to make a chamomile tea. As I waited for the kettle to boil I went to a nearby room to play solitaire on my computer, something mindless enough to calm my overactive brain. My cat came up to me, whining. I gave it a pat and continued my game. He returned, patting my leg and when I reached for him he ran towards the kitchen. I continued my game. On his third attempt to lure me to the kitchen I followed him. The kettle was glowing red hot on the stove. I snatched an oven mitt, grabbed the handle of the kettle, ran to the front door and flung the kettle into a pile of snow where it hissed back at me. The cat is still with me - a well-loved feline of almost 15 years. He earned his keep that night!

3 comments:

  1. I saw your telling of this story as if in a film, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story, Susan - glad the cat was an insomniac, too!

    ReplyDelete