Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 331: The Rocket


Day 331: The Rocket, originally uploaded by susanvg.

After a concert we walked to the metro. It was the first time I walked through the plaza near the Bell Centre since the 100 year celebrations for Les Canadiens. I came upon this sculpture on Maurice Richard, a Montreal legend. He was larger than life in my childhood - the player who more than any other epitomized hockey in our city. Even though I was quite young when he retired from hockey, his name was always said with awe.

A few years ago I saw the film made about him, The Rocket, and was once again struck by the struggle he had to be valued as a player and as a French Canadian. It is a far cry from there to our overpaid athletes of today. I am glad to see him honoured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment