Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 325: Petits Chanteurs


IMG_5044, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This building sits on the slope leading up to St. Joseph Oratory. It is the school for "Les Petits Chanteurs du Mont-Royal" a boys choir. Boys are accepted after second grade and thereafter follow a rigorous musical training in addition to their academic studies.

I do like the sound of a boys choir, but have reservations about funneling children into something so demanding at such a young age. The choice is the parents' not the child's and it leaves minimal time for trying other activities that may have been of interest to the boy.

Some years ago I was in St. Paul's Cathedral in London at Evensong. Listening to the boys choir in that setting was ethereal. The reverberation of the Renaissance music they sang stayed with me for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photograph - the light is lovely!

    I feel the same way you do about channelling children into a path. You can't ever regain those years to go back and try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur about the early push for intensive talent development, though I do understand the incredible impact if such preferences are developed early. The structure and setting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I travelled with a boychoir touring London and Wales about 15 years ago. They performed at St. Paul's and you're right on...ethereal is THE word to describe it! I love this photo, the home is lovely!

    ReplyDelete