Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 64: Ready for music


Day 64: Ready for music, originally uploaded by susanvg.

To me, one of life's great pleasures is playing music. Today, I played baroque music with friends (recorders, violin, viola da gamba and harpsichord). This harpsichord lives at my friends' home. They have filled their lives with music, playing a variety of instruments, singing and welcoming friends to make music with them.

Telemann, Scarlatti, Purcell - we filled the afternoon with their compositions, communicating with each other and with the past, when this music was composed. Through their music we danced, felt joy, shared moments of exquisite beauty, experienced sorrow and laughed.

Playing together requires trust, listening and risk-taking as well as a level of technical and musical expertise.But when a movement works, the satisfaction is enormous. It's about teamwork, about collaboration, and mainly about communicating our musical ideas so that together we have something to say.

Nietsche said "Without music life would be a mistake." I have to agree.

3 comments:

  1. You sound like a very talented person. I am heavily involved in brass bands, choir, big bands etc. Because I am on committees, handle the bills and manage players and finding music, I sometimes forget to enjoy actually playing the music! It can brings us together in a way that nothing else can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful instrument. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky to be able to play music, and how wonderful it must be to do that with other people. I can't play but I enjoy my two sons playing the piano and violin.

    I love your writing, Susan.

    ReplyDelete