Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 68: Lights in the Sky


Day 68: Lights in the Sky, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I walked out this evening to see a beautiful moon, crisp and bright in the evening sky. This photograph does not do it justice. Just to the side, the lights of an antenna flashed and two thoughts went through my head. ET where are you? the antenna seemed to be calling out to the moon. My second thought was of the many people who were hunkered down in their dwellings receiving the signal from the television antenna, oblivious to the magnificent moon.
We live in a world where the virtual becomes more real to many people's lives than the physical world. People talk of their television "friends" as if these were actual friends and discuss episodes of shows. I suppose we have always escaped into forms of fantasy, whether through books or storytelling. But television shows come along with a whole ideology, presented through the advertising, product placements and the story lines.
The moon is often a symbol of romance - a television antenna is just that and nothing more.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed and agreed with tonight's story. The picture of the moon and the antenna has a nice juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said! We don't get cable or dish network or anything. We've entertained the idea a few times, but have always realized that if we did that, we'd end up watching TV! (and we don't want to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the warm and fuzzy of this shot - it speaks to your narrative! We've been hunkering down 'inside' with our electronic toys for awhile now but it is important to connect with our natural environment often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautifully put! Being Pagan, the Moon is very importanat to me. I've not had television for 3 and a half years and I don't miss it at all. I know which I'd pick every time.

    ReplyDelete