Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Playing with Motion 1


DSC02863, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I've been taking a photography course and this week's assignment has to do with capturing motion. Two different exercices - one to keep the background in focus and show the motion, the other to try and pan as you take the picture to show the background going by.

With longer shutter speeds, I seemed to be creating ghosts. Can you see all the skaters?
DSC02871

My panning shots give a very different feel.
DSC02887

Not sure I'll want to use these techniques a lot, but it was an interesting exercice. Freezing fingers seems to be part of this course as the exercice requires multiple images at different shutter speeds. Oh - the pain as the fingers thaw. I need to find a pair of hunter's mitts (they are gloves with a mitten top that can flip off).

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments.

    Yes I think images are universal- a language that can be understood across continents and cultures.

    I liked the panning one- it really hard to do and I have never been successful at it.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting photos. You must be really enjoying this course. Keep up the good work. It does look cold though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the panning shot the best - I must try that. (Maybe when the grandchildren run around!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so interesting to look at, Susan. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the bottom one the best! I remember how much time it took me to finally get one (I liked!) of Genesis riding her bike. I like panning shots and still need to practice a bunch!

    ReplyDelete