Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feeling Blue


Feeling Blue, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I took this photograph on March 10, the day I knew that I had to let my 16 year old cat go. His kidneys were failing and his quality of life had diminished.
The next day we had him put down. My daughter and I held him and cried. The loss of this animal was very painful. Yet on the other side of the world, in Japan, chaos and devastation of great enormity happened and I did not cry for them. We just can't relate in the same way when we do not have the personal connections. I don't mean to say I am not horrified by the devastation and tremendous loss of life. It's just that it is still too enormous to comprehend.

My heart goes out to all the people of Japan whose lives have changed in a split second.

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain about the loss of your precious cat. We did the same with our beautiful 17 year old ginger cat a couple of years ago. He was like one of our children. Our chocolate labrador is the same and we treasure her as one of the family. Thats how pets should be! Yes it is hard to imagine life in North Japan isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for the loss of you pet. They truly are extended members of our families and their passing creates sorrow, loss, and a void that does not pass easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, This is such sad news. Which kitty was it? These faithful companions make a place in our hearts. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt that same when the inevitable happened to my cat who I loved dearly.

    Interesting what you say about the devastation in Japan.

    When the earthquake happened in Christchurch I cried for the people of Christchurch because I related to them as being like me, near me, I suppose.

    I am horrified by the enormity of the tsunami and prospective nuclear meltdown but I don't feel that same emotional attachment to the issue.

    A truly beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like several of the people I've been following have had similar losses as of late. I'm so sorry for you- they really are family members, aren't they? I hope your cat is in peace now. BEAUTIFUL shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your cat. I'm glad he was able to be part of your life for so long even if it makes the farewell a bit harder. The picture is beautiful and very fitting.

    ReplyDelete