Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Geese


Geese, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Walking this morning, I heard the haunting sound of geese. There they were overhead, heading north to nesting grounds, a sure sign of spring. It's funny how spring brings a new clean feeling, but also exposes the dirt - the accumulation of sand that had been put down to prevent slipping, the leaves that were not removed before the first snow, and in the country, mud season. Despite this, I relish each new sign that signifies the renewal.

4 comments:

  1. Whenever I see geese flying like this, I am reminded of the Mary Oliver poem about geese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely capture. I'm always amazed how the geese work together to share the role of leader. Personally, I think we could learn a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent flock in the sky! I have very similar feelings about spring - I can ignore the mud and dirt for as long as spring advances. There is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Here is a link to the Wild Geese poem: http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/m_r/oliver/online_poems.htm

    ReplyDelete