Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Joy of Reading


The Joy of Reading, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I love to read, especially well-written books. Barbara Kingsolver is a wonderful author. I found the book had a slow start but then I just got into it and loved it. Her books always send me off to learn more about the era in which they take place. In this case, I was busy not only reading the book, but learning more about Frida Kahlo (there was a wonderful exhibit of her work in London in 2005 at which I spent an afternoon.) , about Diego Rivera and other artists of Mexico, of the post war era in the U.S. I like that - when a book sends me to other sources to expand my understanding.

Anyone out there read The Lacuna? I would love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I like Barbara Kingsolver, too. I like her essays as well as her fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading 'The Poisonwood Bible' - what a coincidence! I really like the book and will have to check out some of her other books after I finish the current one!

    ReplyDelete