Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 146: Honeysuckle


Day 146: Honeysuckle, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Walking this evening, I was struck by the intoxicating smell of honeysuckle. This bush is covered with blossoms. I was on my way to the post office to pick up my latest package from Amazon. One book in the package was "Letting Everything be Your Teacher 100 lessons in mindfulness" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It occurred to me that my daily photographs have been a mindfulness practice - stopping in the moment to appreciate whatever it is that catches my attention and holding on to it.

"Awareness requires only that we pay attention and see things as they are."

Taking the time to reflect through this blog, to write a bit, whether through story or commentary has deepened that experience. It is my moment every day to still my mind and contemplate on the photograph and where it will take my writing.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo. Brings back great memories of being at my grandparents' home in Connecticut. They had huge honeysuckle bushes out back. The fragrance of family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the scent of honeysuckle! Reminds me of when I was in elementary school -- I'd walk home every day past a wall of honeysuckle.

    Funny, I just took a honeysuckle shot the other day. Haven't processed it yet, but I did take it. :)

    ReplyDelete