Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 130: Preparing for the Concert

Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours - I go to so many early music concerts here, I have dubbed it Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-la-Musique-Ancienne. Today was our turn for a concert - Flutissimo, the recorder orchestra in which I play. We have played here before, but each time I feel privileged to be part of the musical scene of this extraordinary church.
Our programme included works from Medieval times to the 21st century - a challenging repertoire. Our director, Sophie Larivière, has been with the group since its founding ten years ago. Making music with others, being a part of something larger than yourself, requires listening, collaboration, knowing when to bring out your line and knowing when to let other lines shine. This is not about the individual but about a group working for the music, to bring it to life.
It was, on the whole, a good concert for this group of amateurs. In the words of Sir Ken Robinson, we were in "The Element".

Panorama view of church
Photo from the concert below...
Flutissimo Concert

4 comments:

  1. Wow - how very cool! I can not even imagine being in such a magnificent place and for you, it is almost commonplace! Of course, I have NO musical talent either! Continue to keep a good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos in beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are Awesome, wonderful color, compositon and a great feel for the music about to be played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this place on YouTube, but unfortunately I don't think it was your concert - I would love to hear what this sounds like. It's a beautiful church.

    ReplyDelete