Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 139: Virtual Geocaching


Day 139: Virtual Geocaching, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I was at a workshop on geo-caching today. We did not actually look for any real caches - but had to find items from clues based on the location. This fellow (Era - What period is this fellow from?) answered the clue. We traipsed all around the neighbourhood, attracting curiosity. What a great way to spend the morning. We found one actual cache (we were given the coordinates) - you can see the photograph below.
GeocachingLater we discussed the educational possibilities of this activity. I think I'm hooked. It's a great way to have a reason to go out for a walk. You never quite know where it will lead you and may encourage exploration of one's environment. And that's a way to find new photo ops!

3 comments:

  1. I need to increase my 'geo sense' - I can get within 10 ft with the lats/longs, but difficult to unearth the treasures! It certainly is fun, though...and yes, many possibilities to integrate in various learning opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great educational activity which puts you in Nature - kids would love it. Is it like a "treasure hunt" but outside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geo-caching is a great family activity! My father-in-law hides my kids' Christmas & Birthday presents, then gives the boys a word puzzle they have to solve in order to get the first set of coordinates. Then they're off to the woods! It's amazing the number (& locations) of "real" cache sites you can find online, too!

    ReplyDelete