Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 149: Geraniums


Day 149: Geraniums, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I haven't planted flowers yet; it has been rainy and chilly for this time of year. I finally made it to the market on a grey day and purchased some of what I need to fill the holes between the perennials. A couple of these geraniums are now sitting outside my house waiting to be planted. It is hard to capture the riot of colour at the market. There is a sea of flowers outside running the length of the market and wrapping around it. One rule I follow is "no white". I figure we get our share of white in winter; in summer I want to feast my eyes on colour. So for my first foray I came home with geraniums, tuberous begonias, lobelia, marigolds, snapdragons and some flowers whose names I don't know.

Predictions are for a dreary wet weekend. I'll have to plant in the rain - but then I won't have to get out the hose to water them.

3 comments:

  1. Oh - I just came inside from gardening - it started thundering. I'm with you on color. I want a riot in my gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and what color here - beautiful! I can imagine how anxious you are to get those flowers planted! I love most flowers, but geraniums are quite hardy which makes them even more endearing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love geraniums - they're an "old-fashioned" flower, but very reliable. This is a gorgeous display!

    ReplyDelete