Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Transitions

Fallen Leaves

Photos: October 17, 2016

Autumn is a time of transitions as leaves move from greens to a display of colour and then drop. Animals grow a thicker coat in preparation for winter's icy temperatures, squirrels make sure their stashes are filled and flowers slowly fade on their stalks.

I too, find my life in transition as I contemplate full retirement. I find myself thinking, yet again, "What will I be when I grow up?"

It has been a difficult period - three deaths within a week - one far too young, one at a respectable old age and the third somewhat younger. The older gentleman was a wonderful example of growing as he aged. He had a successful career as a neurologist, as a researcher. When he retired he wrote books (one about the first aboriginal M.D. in Canada); he took up an instrument, the recorder, and played and practised regularly. Did he ever "grow up"? That sounds too final - like you are done. He was always transitioning, learning, and always curious. He saw aging not as a winding down but as an opportunity to continue growing.

Transitioning

So I, too,  look at this as a time of opportunity, to try on new colours, to grow into my next phase of growing up.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're a person who will keep growing, Susan. I think you'll love retirement because you'll find so many interesting things to learn and do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three death in a week is really a tough experience. But the late people will be with you whenever you think of them. I’ll keep it in mind; “aging not as a winding down but as an opportunity to continue growing.” Future is uncertain but I’m willing to open the door to the next stage of my life. Let’s grow older together.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete