Sunday, October 9, 2016

Getting Ready to Make Stuffing

Getting Ready to Make Stuffing

Photo: October 8, 2016

It's hard to buck tradition, so as Thanksgiving approaches (the Canadian one, not the American one) I get ready to cook all the usual dishes. The cranberry sauce is made and the bread sits ready to be made into stuffing. I follow the recipe my mother made (not a real recipe) who followed the recipe my adoptive grandmother made. She came to us as our nanny but became my grannie. She lived with us some years and other years she lived with her son and his family. She cooked and baked without recipes, just following her instincts. I try to emulate that as I make a bread stuffing with lots of celery and onions. One change I have made is I use whole wheat bread instead of white bread. It always feels good to put food on the table that has a story and tradition behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment