Saturday, October 29, 2016

Waiting for Musicians

On Stage

Photo: October 26, 2016

The stage is set, stands at the ready. Audience members peruse their programs. It is the opening concert of Les Boréades with a program devoted to French baroque music. While I love most baroque music, I find it harder to relate to the court music of the time. It is elegant and quite proscribed. It happens I am re-reading Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro and there is much of this same kind of surface behaviour - playing a role but almost not allowing oneself to be human. At the court of Louis XIV, everyone knew their rank and what that allowed them to do and not do; they understood the manners expected and deviation could result in difficulties both large and small.

It was a lovely concert. I discovered a composer I had not remembered hearing before: François Duval. But the music does not seep into my soul; it dances on the surface - a pleasant diversion on a cold, damp night.

1 comment: