Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Pumpkins at the Market

Pumpkins and Squash

Photos: October 9, 2016

Pumpkins seem to be spilling out of bins and racks and baskets at the market. They come in every size, shape and colour along with all the other forms of squash.

Mini Pumpkins

It is hard to imagine that all these pumpkins, big and small, will be sold.

Odd Pumpkins

These macabre looking specimens would be great for a scary face.

Balancing Act

How many of these will be used for food? Will people roast the seeds of the pumpkins they carve? I love the bright spectacle and enjoy seeing jack-o-lanterns as I walk around my neighbourhood, but I do wonder at the idea that so many of these will just be bought to be thrown out the day after Hallowe'en. It is only in a country with excess food that we can think of growing things just for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Love the variety of pumpkins. I noticed dozens and dozens of farmyard pumpkin stands on our trip. Must have been a good year for squash. If I buy a pumpkin it becomes food for the wildlife...often before I am ready for it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pumpkin photos! The pumpkins that are randomly displayed or piled up look simply artistic.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete